£1.00 – £52.50
Is the largest town on Skye . Portree has a harbour, fringed by cliffs, with a pier designed by Thomas Telford
The current name, Port Rìgh translates as ‘king’s port’, possibly from a visit by King James V of Scotland in 1540.
However this etymology has been contested, since James did not arrive in peaceful times.
The older name appears to have been Port Ruighe(adh), meaning “slope harbour”.
Prior to the 16th century the settlement’s name was Kiltaraglen (‘the church of St. Talarican‘) from Gaelic Cill Targhlain.