There are very few old-fashioned thatched cottages to be seen today in the Highlands. A hundred years or so ago thatched houses were very much a part of the Highland scene and within their walls, by the light of the peat fire – the crofters of the Islands kept alive the songs and stories which have made the Hebrides famous throughout the world.
Warm, sturdy and economical of scarce materials, the croft house was admirably suited to the landsacpe and the climate. It embodied the principles of streamlining hundreds of years before scientists thought of the idea, with the result that it could stand up to the worst of the winter gales.\Rated 5.00 out of 5
The famous Kilt Rock is a sea cliff in north east Trotternish.
It is said to resemble a kilt, with vertical basalt columns to form the pleats and intruded sills of dolerite forming the pattern.
Lealt is a crofting settlement on the western coastline of the Sound of Raasay on the Trotternish peninsula of Skye. The River Lealt which gives its name to Lealt, passes through on the way to the Sound of Raasay.
The Lealt Valley Diatomite Railway was a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge which ran parallel with the River Lealt.
The western end of the line was at Loch Cuithir, where diatomite - known locally as Cailc (Scottish Gaelic for chalk) - was extracted from the lochbed and dried on wire nets. The seaward terminus had warehouses on the cliff-top at Invertote. At the base of the cliff was a factory where the diatomite was kiln dried, ground and calcined. The line was extended from the factory onto a pier into the Sound of Raasay. During its existence, the Skye Diatomite Company extracted 2000 tons of diatomite.
Stein is a crofting township, situated on the north eastern shore of Loch Bay, in the west of the Waternish peninsula.
In 1790, the British Fisheries Society planned a fishing port to be designed by Thomas Telford. However, poor management of the project, and the lack of enthusiasm shown by the local crofting population for fishing, meant only a small proportion of the scheme was constructed.
Only a few structures were completed to Telford's design, including a pier, a storehouse and possibly the now-ruined smithy.
The 18th-century Stein Inn is the oldest pub on Skye.
The village of Dunvegan lies approximately 5 miles south along the B888 road. Near the junction of this road with the A850, just 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) from Stein is the Fairy Bridge.
According to tradition as related by R.C. MacLeod one of the chiefs of Clan MacLeod married a fairy; however, after twenty years she is forced to leave him and return to fairyland. She bade farewell to the chief at the Fairy Bridge and gave him the Fairy Flag. She promised that if it was waved in times of danger and distress, help would be given on three occasions.
This flag can be found on display in Dunvegan Castle.
Loch Coruisk is an inland fresh-water loch, lying at the foot of the Black Cuillin. Loch Coruisk is reputed to be the home of a water horse.
Sir Walter Scott visited the loch in 1814 and described it vividly:
“Rarely human eye has known
A scene so stern as that dread lake,
With its dark ledge of barren stone...”
Lord Tennyson reported more prosaically:
“Loch Coruisk, said to be the wildest scene in the Highlands, I failed in seeing. After a fatiguing expedition over the roughest ground on a wet day we arrived at the banks of the loch, and made acquaintance with the extremest tiptoes of the hills, all else being thick wool-white fog.”
The Quiraing is awesome. It is supernatural. It is a place of wonder and amazement. It is outstanding by any measure. If you are fit enough to walk the narrow path and scramble up and down the steep slopes – you must do it. To visit Skye without experiencing the Quiraing seems unthinkable.
Go on a bright and clear day for views of the Outer Hebrides and the Scottish mainland, framed by the pinnacles, cliffs and great buttresses.
Go on a wet and windy day to feel your spine tingle as the clouds and mist swirl around you in this unreal and menacing landscape.
Whatever the weather, you’ll not forget the experience.
Marsco is a peak in the Red Cuillins. It lies on the east of Glen Sligachan.
Marsco has magnificent views of the main Cuillin ridge as well as out to sea; many walkers reckon it is perhaps the finest of all the Grahams.
A photograph of Marsco and Glen Sligachan, taken by Richard Nutt, features on the cover of the second album by British synthpop band Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD), Organisation, released in October 1980.
The folk group Runrig released a song called "Nightfall on Marsco" on their 1981 album Recovery.Rated 5.00 out of 5
Neist Point is a viewpoint on the most westerly point of Skye.
Neist Point is the most westerly point on the Duirinish peninsula on the Isle of Skye. It projects into The Minch and provides a walk and viewpoint.
The light house was designed and built by one of the "Lighthouse Stevensons" - in this case David A Stevenson, the light and its associated dwellings cost £4,350 when they were built in 1909. The station was converted to automatic operation in 1990 and the lightkeepers were withdrawn. The foghorn at the front left corner is no longer in use.
In Summer, the stunning coastal waters and cliffs around Glendale are home to many hundreds of guillemots, razorbills, fulmars, kittiwakes and shags.
Puffins are also regularly seen off Neist Point in small numbers, although they do not nest on Skye.
The beautiful black guillemot, with its white wing-patches and red legs, is resident all year round.
Is the largest town on Skye . Portree has a harbour, fringed by cliffs, with a pier designed by Thomas Telford
The current name, Port Rìgh translates as 'king's port', possibly from a visit by King James V of Scotland in 1540.
However this etymology has been contested, since James did not arrive in peaceful times.
The older name appears to have been Port Ruighe(adh), meaning "slope harbour".
Prior to the 16th century the settlement's name was Kiltaraglen ('the church of St. Talarican') from Gaelic Cill Targhlain.
The Red Hills (Na Beanntan Dearga in Gaelic) are sometimes known as the Red Cuillin.
They are mainly composed of granite which is paler than the gabbro (with a reddish tinge from some angles in some lights) and has weathered into more rounded hills with vegetation cover to summit level and long scree slopes on their flanks.
The highest point of the hills is Glamaig, one of only two Corbetts on Skye (the other being Garbh-bheinn, part of the small group of gabbro outliers surrounding Blà Bheinn).
Beautiful Rubha Hunish, the northernmost point of the island, is a magical place.
This is an outstanding walk to the furthest north point of Skye. From the end of the point you may be lucky enough to see dolphins, whales and basking sharks, all at close range.
QuickviewSkye Marble has been extracted from Strath Suardal in Torrin for centuries. Marble from Torrin was used in Armadale Castle and Iona Abbey. The extracted rock was used primarily in the production of agricultural lime. Marble is mined and crushed on site, producing agricultural lime, pebbledash for housing, ready-mix concrete products and some decorative marble. A narrow gauge line, built in 1907 ran for 3½ miles from the quarry at Suardale to Broadford pier. It transported Skye Marble from the nearby village of Kilbride (Cille Bhrìghde). The railway closed in the early 20th century and the track bed remains as a public footpath. A number of old railway remains can be seen.£1.00 – £52.50
Free UK delivery when you spend over £100!